Blue Star Memorial Highway
The Blue Star Memorial Highway marker is dedicated to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States of America. The markers began to be posted across the US in 1945 afterWorld War II. The blue star was used on flags and outside servicemen’s homes during the war. The Blue Star marker is located on Patriot’s Square on the corner of North Main Street and West Main Street in Swainsboro and was sponsored by the Swainsboro Garden Club in cooperation with Georgia State Highway Department and Garden Club of Georgia.
Patriot’s Square Monument
The Patriot’s Square Monument was erected to commemorate the service of veterans who have served their county in peacetime and war. The monument was sponsored by the Veteran’s of Foreign Wars and is located on Patriot’s Square on the corner of North Main Street and West Main Street.
The current Emanuel County Courthouse includes three stone tablets posted in the main foyer of the building. The large tablets had once been located in subsequent County Courthouses. The first tablet includes information on the founding of Emanuel County in 1812. The second tablet has information on the first Emanuel County Courthouse built in 1814 as well as the history of seven other Courthouses erected around Swainsboro. The third and latest tablet includes the story of Emanuel County’s newest Courthouse finished in 2002. The Emanuel County Courthouse is located at 131 South Main Street.
Early Settlers Cemetery
The land for the Early Settlers Cemetery was given by Joel Josiah Moring in 1881. The land was originally given for the burials of Methodist and Baptist community members. During the 1880’s, the cemetery was located behind a Methodist Church. More than 100 community members have been laid to rest in the Early Settlers Cemetery with the last burial taking place in 1954. Frank Mitchell, former Mayor of Swainsboro (1936-1940) is among the many political and community leaders buried in Swainsboro. The Early Settlers Cemetery also includes a cenotaph: a tomb or a monument erected in honor of a person or group of persons whose remains are elsewhere, for Confederate Soldiers who fought in the Civil War. The Early Settlers Cemetery is located on the corner of Coleman Street and East Main Street.
Emanuel County Marker
The Emanuel County Marker is posted in Patriot’s Square to commemorate the founding of the county. Emanuel County was created by Acts of the Legislature on December 10, 1812 and December 6, 1913. The County was named after David Emanuel, Governor in 1801, a legislator and President of the Senate. The Emanuel County marker is located on Patriot’s Square on the corner of North Main Street and West Main Street.
Sherman’s March to the Sea Marker
Over 26,000 Union officers and men of the 15th and 17th Corps invaded north Emanuel County during November of 1864 as Sherman marched toward Savannah. The 17th Corps, accompanied by Gen. Sherman himself, traveled along the Old Savannah Road where they encamped the night of November 29th, 1864. Marker 1 is located on the Old Savannah Road approximately 2 miles off U.S. 1. Sherman’s forces crossed the Ogeechee River the next day at Midville, Ga. to destroy the railroad and railway station. Marker 2 is located on Hwy 56 North at turn off to McKinney’s Road. The 15th Corps entered Emanuel County on the afternoon of November 29th, 1864, from the west near Blundale. They crossed present day U.S. 1, before heading east and following a line just north of Modoc, Cannoochee and Garfield.
John C. Coleman Marker
The Coleman Hotel was one of the first modern hotels built in Swainsboro. Named after John C. Coleman, the hotel was erected by Mrs. Luck Coleman in the 1930’s. The marker is dedicated to the way worn traveler and “the love and advancement of Swainsboro and Emanuel County.” The John C. Coleman marker is located on the corner of North Main Street and West Main at the Coleman Building.
Emanuel County Courthouse Marker
The Emanuel County Courthouse Marker commemorates the location of one of Swainsboro’s original courthouses erected in 1895. The Emanuel County marker is located on Patriot’s Square on the corner of South Green Street and West Main Street.
Bobbie Gene Powell Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to “all who serve the citizens of Emanuel County in loving memory and honor of those who have valiantly given their lives in the line of duty.” Erected by Emanuel C.B Club in 1980, The Bobbie Gene Powell Memorial is located on Patriot’s Square on the corner of North Main Street and West Main Street.
Home of George L. Smith, II Marker
The George L. Smith, II Marker honors one of Emanuel County’s most influential leaders. As a member of the Georgia House of Representatives for 29 years and speaker of that body for 11 years, George L. Smith served the state and his county with great honor and passion. The Home of George L. Smith, II marker is located on Patriot’s Square on the corner of North Main Street and West Main Street.
Revolutionary Soldiers Marker
The Revolutionary Soldiers marker is dedicated “to the patriotic memory of American Revolutionary Soldiers buried in Emanuel County.” Presented in 1976, the Revolutionary Soldiers marker honors the memories of Mr. Drew, Mr. Edenfield, Mr. Sumner, Mr. Durden, Mr. Herrington, Mr. Thompson and Mr. Moore for their sacrifice to create the United States of America. The Revolutionary Soldiers marker is located on Patriot’s Square on the corner of North Main Street and West Main Street.
Civil War Soldiers Memorial
This maker, presented in 1979, was created to preserve the memory of Emanuel County’s Civil War Soldiers from 1861-1865. The marker honors the service of the Emanuel Rangers, Ben Hill Guards, Rough and Ready Guards, Brown Guards, and McLeod Volunteers. The Civil War Soldiers Memorial is located on Patriot’s Square on the corner of North Main Street and West Main Street.