Licenses, Permits and Registration

Driver’s License

If you have an out-of-state drivers license, you must receive a Georgia drivers license within 30 days. You must be over 16 years of age and must present a birth certificate and proof of residence. The Georgia State Patrol Office, located on Highway 1 North, Swainsboro, is open Thursday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, please call (478) 289-2595.

Motor Vehicle Registration

Emanuel County Tax Commissioner’s Office, 101 South Main Street, Swainsboro. The Tax Commissioner’s Office also handles transactions for mobile homes, timber tax, property tax, and intangible recording tax. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and the telephone number is (478) 237-3351. Georgia law requires all auto tags be renewed by owner’s birthday. New residents have 30 days to renew license plates. Renewals after deadline are subject to a 10% penalty on the ad valorem tax and a 25% tax on the tag fee.

Mobile Home Registration

Mobile homes must display a current mobile home decal, which may be obtained from the Mobile Home section at the Tax Commissioner’s office upon payment of ad valorem taxes each year. Tax bills for mobile homes are mailed out in late January and are due by May 1.

Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Hunting and Fishing licenses can be purchased at local convenience and sporting goods stores.

Marriage License

Marriage Licenses can be obtained at the Emanuel County Probate Judge’s Office on South Main Street in Swainsboro. The cost for a marriage license is $56 if there is no premarital counseling, $21 if there is. Please contact (478) 237-7091 with questions.

Burning Permit

Contact the Emanuel County Forest Fire Unit, located at 296 Glenwood Road in Swainsboro for Burning Permits or call (478) 289-2564.

School Registration

For information on School Registration please contact the Emanuel County Board of Education at 201 North Main Street in Swainsboro or call (478) 237-6674.